The Queen's era of 'steady visibility' is coming to an end, says ex-archbishop


The Queen's future role in the monarchy has been analyzed by the former Archbishop of Canterbury.

Oystermouth's Lord Rowan Williams spoke to BBC Newsnight this week and summarized how the 96-year-old shaped his view of the monarchy during his reign.

Lord Williams told the host: "There is certainly a pervasive feeling that like it or not we are approaching the end of an era.

"The era of that steady visibility of the Queen in our public life.

"We have to face other ways of thinking about her and she certainly has never been Queen Victoria, retired with a respectable and tragic foresight, it's not her style."

Lord Williams said: "But she is clearly calculating what she can and cannot cope with.

"Also calculating what's going to be helpful in making the transition possible for people when the time comes and generally think it through."

The former Bishop of Wales said: "I've never been a great monarchist by conviction, although I wasn't a princely republican either, I didn't really think much of it.

"I think, if I may say it, the personal affection towards someone who was consistently supportive and kind and generous in my regards certainly made a difference.

"I liked him, I loved spending time with him.

I freely admit that my warmth towards the monarchy owes much to him.

"The options are not clear, I think, for the monarchy.

"The advantages of a monarch, like that of a queen, and not all monarchs are like that, the advantage here is that someone who has been in that office for their entire adult life has no history.

"He doesn't have any skeletons in the cupboard."

The Queen will celebrate her Platinum Jubilee with members of the Royal Family this week.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post