ABC News suspends 'The View' host Whoopi Goldberg


 ABC News on Tuesday night suspended "The View" host Whoopi Goldberg for two weeks, a day after she drew significant criticism for falsely declaring that the Holocaust "wasn't about the race."

"Effective immediately, I am suspending Whoopi Goldberg for two weeks for her false and hurtful remarks," ABC News President Kim Godwin said in a statement.

"While Whoopi has apologized, I have asked her to take the time to think about and learn about the implications of my comments," Godwin said. "The entire ABC News organization stands in solidarity with our Jewish allies, friends, family and communities."

As Godwin said in his statement, Goldberg actually apologized for his remarks. On Monday night, Goldberg apologized in a note posted to Twitter. And on Tuesday, Goldberg opened "The View," offering another apology.

The comedian and actor said, "Yesterday on our show, I spoke wrong. I tweeted about it last night, but I want you to hear it straight from me." "I said something that I feel a responsibility not to leave unchecked, because my words upset so many people, which was never my intention. I understand why now, and for that I deeply "Deeply grateful because the information I found was really helpful, and it helped me understand a few different things."

Next winter storm will stretch 2,000 miles Chesley Crist, former Miss USA, 30 dead in Mexico rated 'very high' risk for travel by CDC

"I said the Holocaust was not about race and was instead about man's inhumanity to man," Goldberg said on "The View" Tuesday. "But it's really about race because Hitler and the Nazis considered Jews to be a lower caste."

She continued, "Now, words matter and I am no exception. I regret my comments, as I said, and I am right. I also stand with the Jewish people as they know you and you." Everybody knows, because I've always done that."

His comments upset ABC News staff. According to conversations with employees, some accepted his apology, while others believed that disciplinary action was required.

Goldberg is no stranger to controversy, having made several comments on the program during its nearly 15 years that have sparked backlash.

In 2009 he commented that Roman Polanski was not guilty of "rape-rape", a comment he later clarified. Goldberg also initially defended Bill Cosby as he faced allegations of sexual assault, a position he eventually reversed.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post