Whoopi Goldberg suspended from 'The View' following Holocaust remarks

 


"The View" co-host Whoopi Goldberg has been suspended after her controversial remarks about the Holocaust.

"Effective immediately, I am suspending Whoopi Goldberg for two weeks for her false and hurtful remarks," ABC News President Kim Godwin said in a statement Tuesday evening. "While Whoopi has apologized, I have asked her to take the time to think about and learn about the implications of her comments."

"The entire ABC News organization stands in solidarity with our Jewish allies, friends and communities," Godwin said.

Goldberg went viral on Monday when she argued that the Holocaust is "not about the race," startling her colleagues at the table.

"What is this about?" Co-host Joy Behar asked.

"It's about man's dehumanization of man, that's what it's about," Goldberg said.

Whoopi Goldberg apologizes for Holocaust comments: 'I'm right'

“But it is about a white supremacist after Jews and Gypsies,” said guest co-host Ana Navarro as Goldberg attempted to speak about her.

"But these are two white groups of people," Goldberg said, adding that his aides disagreed.

Jewish groups denounced the comments, accusing them of alleviating Jewish suffering.

Goldberg attempted to explain his comment during his appearance on "The Late Show".

'View' host Whoopi Goldberg claims Holocaust wasn't about race: 'These are two white groups'

Goldberg told Stephen Colbert, "It upset a lot of people that was never, ever, ever, never my intention ... I thought we were having a discussion." "I think of race as something I can see..." You couldn't tell who the Jew was. They had to go deep to figure it out... I have to say, they had to work."

She also told Colbert, "I don't want to make a fake apology... I'm so upset that people misunderstood what I said."

Before the pre-taped interview aired on CBS, Goldberg issued an apology.

"In today's show, I said that Pralay 'is not about caste, but about man's inhumanity towards man.' I should have said it's about both," Goldberg wrote in a statement. "As Jonathan Greenblatt of the Anti-Defamation League shared, 'The Holocaust was about the Nazi's systematic destruction of the Jewish people—whom they considered a low caste.' I stand corrected."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post