Troy Kotsur creates history as first deaf actor to win SAG Award

CODA actor Troy Kotsur made history with a win at the SAG Awards on Sunday

Troy Kotsur creates history as first deaf actor to win SAG Award

CODA actor Troy Kotsur created history on Sunday when he won the award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role at the SAG Awards, becoming the first deaf actor to do so!

As The Associated Press reports, Kotsur's CODA co-star Marlee Matlin is the only deaf actor to win an Oscar, but Kotsur is now in line to join her win.

When his name was read, the 53-year-old veteran actor put his head in her hands. On stage, he thanked his wife, Dean Bray, for "reminding me to check my fly before walking the red carpet."

Kotsur also thanked Bray for this, saying, "She is with me to this day. She has been with me through all these years of struggle. Thank you so much for being my backbone and for supporting me. I Love you."

"I'm very proud to be a member of SAG. I've been a member since 2001, and so now I finally feel like I'm part of the family," Kotsur hinted at ASL as his interpreter translated his words .

"I know you all are actors, and I know you all know what it's like to be a hungry actor. At that point I used to sleep in my car, I slept backstage in my dressing room, I couch- Used to surf and all that. You feel me, don't you? So, thank you very much,” he said.

Watch Stories

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post