Idris Elba reveals the bitter truth of his life

British actor Idris Elba says his showbiz career stalled when he first came to America


Idris Elba shocked everyone as he admitted that he used to sell drugs in the past, at one point counting comedian Dave Chappelle among his clients.

The British actor, who is currently promoting his role in the animated sequel Sonic the Hedgehog 2, said his showbiz career stalled when he first moved to the US, leaving him struggling for cash.

The 49-year-old star did several "things I'm not proud of" in that time, before exiting her role as underworld figure Stringer Bell on The Wire.

Elba told SiriusXM's The Jess Cagle Podcast: "I moved to America and it all fell flat on his face very quickly for about four years. And in that time period, I did a lot of things. Some things that I had to deal with. Not proud, but I did a lot."

He continued: "I used to sell weed. Can I say that on the show?"

Elba said: "I did it to help pay for a little bit, I DJ a lot.

"I used to be a doorman at Caroline's comedy club, which is fascinating now when I meet the comedian that — you remember the tall English guy with the funny accent and short hair.

Idris Elba continued: "Dave Chappelle remembers me because he used to buy hay from me. Anyway, moving on."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post