Liam Payne breaks silence on shocking tone at Oscars watch party: It was 'funny'

Liam Payne finally took a moment to address the massive frenzy surrounding his shocking accent


Liam Payne finally took a moment to address the massive frenzy surrounding his shocking tone at the Oscars watch party when he was asked about Will Smith smacking Chris Rock at the iconic event.

The former One Direction member took to Instagram Live video, channeling Irish, American and Welsh accents to explain what went wrong on the red carpet at the Elton John Foundation Oscars party.

On Monday night, Payne said, "I'm good at pronunciation, I'm proud of them! I wish I could do my own sometimes."

"It was a lot of fun," he continued.

"I asked the Good Morning Britain presenter, 'Please don't ask me too much because I have too much to drink and I'm less educated about the Oscars.

"The first question that guy asked me was, 'What do you think of Will Smith? He told the fans.

"Now can you imagine having that moment on the spot and knowing, 'I can't say anything wrong because I'm going to upset someone'?" That said, he insisted he "just did the best I could".

"I actually read back what I said and I stand by what I said," Payne said. "I'm sorry it came out in so many accents!"

The 28-year-old singer offered an explanation for his confused way of speaking, "To tell you the truth, I was living in a house with two German people, three people from Texas, one man from Liverpool and me. "

"It seemed like one of those jokes that people tell about an Irishman and an Englishman going to a pub - and that's what came out.

"So, you know... what can I say? But it was fun, wasn't it?"

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post