Co-creator on sitcom's lack of diversity: 'I'm embarrassed'

Friends co-creator Marta Kaufman speaks out on diversity


Friends co-creator Marta Kaufman recently addressed a long-standing criticism for the lack of diversity on the famous sitcom.

According to the LA Times, Kaufman promised $4 million to Brandeis University's Department of African and American Studies as an apology for not featuring characters of color on the show.

Speaking on the occasion, the 65-year-old, who co-produced the hit series with David Crane from 1994 to 2004, said, "I felt embarrassed that Friends had an all-white cast."

"I've learned a lot over the past 20 years," she said, "and admitting guilt isn't easy. It's painful to look at yourself in the mirror. I'm ashamed I didn't know better 25 years ago."



Kaufman said that at first she didn't understand the backlash from fans "for not showing people of color on the show," but now she did.

The writer/producer noted that his perspective on diversity changed after police witnessed the 2020 killing of George Floyd, which sparked "Black Lives Matter protests" in the country.

“After what happened to George Floyd, I started buying into systemic racism in ways I was never aware of. It was actually the moment I began to examine the ways in which I had participated. I knew I needed to do course-correct," she told the outlet.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post