John Frusciant on His Return to Red Hot Chili Peppers: "I Really Miss Playing With You"


After exiting the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2009, guitarist John Frusciante has recently rejoined the band to work on the rock band's latest album, Unlimited Love. Now, Consequence Sound has spoken to Peppers' bassist Flea to take the band on Frusciante's re-entry into the group.

When asked about the situation between the band and Frusciante, Flea begins by explaining the messiness of the whole situation, stating that "of course, there are a lot of ins and outs and in-between and heretofore wares and stuff." Something like this is never real clear cut," but explains that what is clear is that "John left the band. He was gone for 10 years. He and I remained friends and in touch the whole time. "

Flea recalls an emotional moment between himself and the guitarist "One night he was over for dinner, and we're talking and listening to music and hanging out and talking like friends. And I was like, 'Man, just from my heart,' I just said, 'I miss playing with you. Sometimes I really miss playing with you.' And when I said this ... I felt this huge well of emotion flowing through my eyes and stuff." He explains that he didn't try to influence the guitarist to make a decision he really didn't want to make, adding that he "hadn't said that [before] because I respect that." He wanted to do it."

However, the guitarist felt the same way as the band, telling Flea that "I really miss playing with you too." Flea described how Frusciant felt his feelings about the interpersonal situation, saying that "and I felt the same - that I was happy - inside him. And this moment of connection was something you didn't talk about." Can't or can't describe, you know what I mean?"

Frontman Anthony Kiedis noted that the moment Frusciante was reintroduced into the band was a bittersweet one, which included the departure of the band's previous guitarist, Josh Klinghofer. Kiedis says that "it was heartbreaking to say goodbye to Josh, but it was also heartbreaking to have John back."

Unlimited Love, featuring the return of Frusciante, was released on April 1. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have an international tour scheduled for Summer 2022, featuring acts such as A$AP Rocky, Thundercat, The Strokes and HAIM.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post