'The Mummy' director calls Tom Cruise-starrer 'biggest failure'

The Mummy's director, Alex Kurtzman, considers the Tom Cruise starrer "one of the biggest failures" of his life.


The 2017 reboot of The Mummy may have a star cast headed by Tom Cruise, but the film's director, Alex Kurtzman, considers it one of the "biggest failures" of his life, People magazine reported.

Speaking on The Playlist's Bingeworthy podcast, Kurtzman revealed his thoughts about the big-budget reboot of the hit classic franchise, and said he "regrets" making a film even with a stellar star cast.

Kurtzman said: "I subscribe to the view that you learn nothing from your successes, and you learn everything from your failures...

He then added: "There are about a million things I regret about The Mummy, but it also gave me so many gifts that are indescribably beautiful."

According to Kurtzman, he sees the experience as a major learning experience and a turning point in his career as a film director.

He said: "I didn't become a director until I made that film, and it wasn't because it was well directed — it was because it wasn't."

"I wouldn't have understood a lot of things that I now understand what it means to be a director if I hadn't gone through that experience," he said.

The film also marked the first time a filmmaker working on a mega project, of which he said: "I am very grateful that I was given the opportunity to make those mistakes, because it made me a difficult person again, and It made me again a clear filmmaker."

Kurtzman's take on The Mummy cost approximately $95 million to produce and was backed by Universal Studios.

In addition to Cruz, the film stars Annabelle Wallis, Jake Johnson, Courtney B. Vance and Russell Crowe also starred.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post