Constance Wu made shocking disclosure: 'stigma on the community'


Constance Wu returned to social media with a shocking revelation that she attempted suicide three years ago following the hate she found on Fresh Off the Boat tweets.

The 40-year-old actor previously wrote that she was "really upset" about the show's renewal, with fans rebuking her for being ungrateful.

The Crazy Rich Asians star penned a lengthy letter to her fans on Twitter, detailing what happened in her life after a fellow Asian actor told her she was a "sad" on the Asian American community.

"Hello everyone. I haven't been on social media for almost 3 years. TBH, I'm a little scared, but I'm licking my toe back to say that I'm here and when I went I'm in the making Wrote a book called A Scene," Wu began his letter.

"It's hard to talk about this next part... but I was afraid to come back to social media because I almost lost my life from it: 3 years ago, when I recklessly tweeted about my TV show renewal If done, it ignited outrage and internet shaming which became very serious,” she said.


"I felt really bad about what I said, and when some DM of a fellow Asian actress told me that I would be a curse to the Asian American community, I felt like I didn't even deserve to live anymore Am." Wu continued.

"That I was a disgrace to the AsAms [Asian Americans], and they would be better off without me. Looking back, it's real that some DMs convinced me to end my life, but that's what happened.

"Luckily, a friend found me and took me to the ER. It was a scary moment that reassured me a lot in my life. For the next few years, I put my career aside to focus on my mental health. AsAms don't talk enough about mental health,” she revealed.

“While we look forward to celebrating the representation win, there is a lot of avoidance around the more uncomfortable issues within our community. Even my tweets became so poignant that most of my Assam colleagues decided That it's time to escape or kick me out."

The actor further wrote how the incident made him realize the importance of reaching out and caring for people in difficult times, adding that it is one of the reasons why he wrote his book.

"If we want to be seen, really want to be seen ... we need to see ourselves, which includes the parts of ourselves that we are afraid or ashamed of, however imperfect, requiring care and attention. And when we do, we have to stop beating each other (and ourselves).

"So while my book isn't always the most flattering illustration, it's about as honest as I know how to be. Because the truth is, I'm not ready or graceful or perfect. I'm emotional. I make mistakes. I do... a lot!" He said

Concluding his note, Wu wrote, "After a little break from Hollywood and a lot of therapy, I feel fine enough to be back here (at least for a while). And even though I'm scared I have decided that I am indebted to it 3 years ago for being brave and sharing my story so that it can help someone.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post